Since we’re finally planning on moving Baby to his nursery, and, as it happens every Spring in the Yukon, the daylight hours are getting longer – much longer, we decided it was time to find a solution to block out sunlight in his room so he could sleep at night. Our venetian blinds were just not cutting it. After surfing the web for ideas, this is what I came up with:
I found a tutorial for this roman blind at Shanty 2 Chic. She did an excellent job for a first timer doing a tutorial. Hers was meant for a blind sitting inside the window frame, so if you decide to do it, keep in mind that one little oversight that crept through is to make sure you allow for seam allowances (not mentioned in the tutorial), otherwise you’ll be short. However, she did a great job explaining the steps involved.
When my blind was finished, I found it looked too plain and needed dressing up. I was inspired by Erin at Domestic Adventure and made my own pelmet box with a striped fabric. I used corrugated plastic instead of wood, and therefore used a glue gun, and it turned out great!
I absolutely loved working on this project. My next one is a quilt (I didn’t mention I started quilting classes at Bear’s Paw Quilts) for my little one’s room. The borders will be made with the same fabric as the roman blind, while the squares are different patterns of green, purple, and blue. So excited!